Friday, April 19, 2013

Bi-cultural Adaptability

Human beings are generally able to adapt to most environment that they find themselves inhabiting. In many cases, when we are in unfamiliar territory, our survival instincts kick in and we find ourselves doing what we need to do in order to survive. We are equipped with natural mechanisms such as the "fight or flight"mechanism which allows us to save ourselves in the case of imminent danger. Some human beings join "packs" in order to have an advantage within society. That is, they will join gangs, cliques or even organizations as a way of protecting themselves, identifying themselves or advancing themselves within society. However, many of us suffice with utilizing the "chameleon effect" in order to slither through society safely and successfully and by that I mean simply adopt some of the characteristics of their environment in order to successfully adapt to their environment.

Some of us have adapted so well to the environment that we become comfortable enough to call that location home, family, "way of life" and may even start feeling a sense of loyalty toward that particular location. In other cases, we adapt so poorly to an environment that we either relocate, become reclusive or rebel against the environment by committing crimes and indulging in other forms of unacceptable behavior. Some of us find ourselves having to re-adapt due to migration and other forms of relocation. Some of us also find ourselves adapting to different locations as we find ourselves calling more than one place home.

For individuals like myself who have migrated from their first home and now call another place/country home, adaptation is integral to their survival. My language had to be readjusted in order for me to be understood. Some of my perceptions had to altered for me to understand and accept some aspects of the culture I was submerged in. In some cases where I was not able to adapt, I opted to become somewhat of a recluse in order to protect myself from perceived danger. Eventually, I opened my heart and mind enough to come out of my shell to connect and formulate indelible ties with others, some of whom became apart of my family.

I have worked very hard to retain aspects of myself and aspects of my Jamaican culture that I believe helps to define me and have been successful in some cases and failed in other cases. I find myself sticking out like a sore thumb in both cultures as I struggle to hold my own in both worlds. For example, As much as I have adjusted my language in order to be understood by my American counterparts, my accent remains distinctively foreign. Yet when I speak to my Jamaican peers, they can tell right away that I have been affected significantly by the American culture. I find myself having to either justify or defend myself to both cultural groups in many cases. However, those that are closest to me understand and accept both my circumstances and unique nature that makes up who I am.

It's not an easy task to conquer two worlds but the dual roads that I have chosen to travel on at different stages of my life sometimes meets at intersections that require me to switch off one part of myself and turn on another in terms of culture.This has forced me to be bi-culturally ready and adaptable. However, there is a flip side to this dilemma. That is, I get to enjoy the best of both worlds, literally. I take pride in being uniquely Jamaican while living in the U.S. In addition, I have also developed a deep sense of loyalty to both cultures. I am also happy that I can share this experience with my children who are half Jamaican and half American and able to claim both cultures
.

No comments:

Post a Comment