Friday, July 26, 2013

Moments when I am hit by Jamaicanstalgia...

I have decided to select moments in the U.S that take me back home to Jamaica. I decided to take a few pictures in an attempt to capture these moments and share it in this posts. However, not all the pictures were taken by me as unfortunately I am not in Jamaica to take some Jamaican pictures, but I managed to find some great shots nonetheless. So this post will be less for reading pleasure and more for viewing pleasure.
 My husband took the above picture of this butterfly outside of his work place a couple days ago....
It reminded me of our swallowtail butterfly in Jamaica.

Every time I go to Walmart I go straight to this Jamaican isle to pick up a few items.

This little section was like a Jamaican gold mine when I discovered it inside of Walmart. They even have the Shirley Biscuits available in this section.

Every time I go to Food Depot I go to this isle which as you can see, it is quite similar to the one inside Walmart

As a Jamaican, I grew up on D&G sodas and Grace products so I cannot help but get nostalgic when I enter these isles.


The above picture is of a Jamaican grocery store with Jamaican products in abundance. While the Jamaican section inside Walmart and Food Depot are only a fraction of this store, I'll take what I can get.




This used to be a Jamaican restaurant owned by a Rastafarian man near my home in Georgia. When it was up and running, the Rastafarian man would come out in the evenings and jerk his chicken on a real "drum pan" and it tasted great. I supported his business a couple times but eventually stopped because it was less expensive to cook my own Jamaican food than to buy it but it did remind me of home. The structure of this building is so similar to many small businesses in Jamaica that I just had to share this picture.





This little Jamaican shop in this picture is a classic example of many of the small businesses that is created from the innovations of our the Jamaican people.









The picture below is also a small business near my home in Georgia that offers products to those from the Caribbean among other immigrants but it reminded me so much of some stores in Jamaica that I had to include it.



The picture below is of a store in Jamaica and while there is only a slight resemblance to the one above it, you can see why I still think of Jamaica when I see shops like these in America.




My friend in Jamaica sent me this picture of our Jamaican market, of course the best place to get organic fruits and vegetables from local farmers in Jamaica.

 The flea markets that I have been to here in the U.S.A have a similar set-up and atmosphere. It is another experience that makes me think of home. Both these pictures below are showing particular areas within a flea market. You can also find a variety of other items such as clothing at both the Jamaican market and the American Flea Market


I really wish I had more pictures to display and compare on this blog but for now this what I have compiled. Enjoy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment