Thursday, April 18, 2013

Starting off with nothing

When I arrived inside the US about five years ago, I had no idea  where my journey would take me nor did I have any concrete plans for my life. I simply used the limited resources I had which was around $250 and my passport with the intention of creating something out of nothing. Many people start off that way, with only a prayer to see them through. However, this sometimes stems from a personal decision to become independent of most, if not, all the comforts and support that you may have been accustomed to all your life, in order to show the world "the stuff" you are made of. Other times, It is stemmed from the desire to leave a barren life behind in the pursuit of a more positive and productive life.

Starting off with little to nothing is never easy. You have to be willing to set yourself a part from the "regular", go against the grain and stare into the face of uncertainty. You also have to be willing to struggle and most importantly, you have to be focused and motivated to succeed. The journey can sometimes take you on a long and winding road, or a short and bumpy ride whereas some of us are lucky enough to bypass all of that and end up taking the short cut to success, however, the latter is often times so rare, one would be better off bracing themselves for the arduous ride that lay ahead of them. 

You can never give up either, even if sometimes, that seems to be the only solution that presents itself. You have to push yourself to find options and solutions to take you over whatever hurdle that is blocking your path. Having faith in God has given many individuals the extra push they need when they find themselves in a deep ditch, especially when there is no other support system around them, but giving up should never be the final option.

With that being said, starting off with nothing can be very daunting, until doors begin to open and opportunities come along. Then the nothing that you had, actually starts to build into something. Out of nothing, you find that your new experiences both good and bad, new connections, new friends and other useful resources are becoming the foundation that you need to launch into your new life. Then once your foundation is built, you start that upward climb to the pinnacle of your life.

I am still traveling on that long and winding road and I have picked up a plethora of life lessons, a few friends and connections that have led me to the path I am on today. I am far from where I want to be, but I am a long way from where I was when I started off with nothing at ground zero. I am still trying to build my legacy and I am proud of the few accomplishments I have achieved thus far.

 In my experience, to start off with nothing is a great and difficult feat but not an impossible one and it can take you to great places, miles away from your comfort zone. It can change you for the better and it can bring you a sense of fulfillment and self awareness. It takes character and it builds character and I laud those who have taken it upon themselves to venture into the unknown for the purpose of self purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment