Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Is The Secret Real?

I had the privilege of watching a documentary called "The Secret". It basically explains that you attract people and circumstances through the "magnetic action" of your thoughts. In other words, when you have  positive, self affirming, self uplifting thoughts, you somehow send out this energy to the universe and in return, great things starts unfolding in your life. Needless  to say, if you think negative, self doubting, self destructive thoughts, this energy is transmitted into the atmosphere and in return, you will incur the wrath of the universe. My question is: Is this real?

While watching the video, I started to reflect deeply on my life. I started to think about my successes, my failures and my overall life experiences and how these experiences may somehow have been dictated by my thoughts. I questioned whether or not my thoughts had the power to set the stage of my life and the role it played in scripting my life. I am aware that people make plans and goals and set out to achieve these plans and are actually successful in fulfilling their dreams, goals and aspirations, which adds some credibility to The Secret. However, does it only work with plans and goals? What about seemingly random events that occur in our lives? Have we attracted these events to our lives too with our thoughts? Have we attracted certain people to our lives with our thoughts?

I believe in God and his many blessings and I believe that I am where I am today because of God's divine plans. However, after watching The Secret, I sought to explore this mysterious phenomenon as it related to my personal journey. It had me thinking that there are in fact some things I thought long and hard about, religiously and actually watched that thought manifest into reality. I know that it sounds silly but snow was one of those things. Let me explain. Jamaica has a tropical climate and therefore it is almost impossible for there to ever be snow in Jamaica. I say "almost" because of our ever changing earth you never know how our climate may change some day. Anyway, as a young girl growing up, unsure that I may ever get the chance to travel, I used to fantasize about snow and snowy weather. I used to especially fantasize about it when they would burn the sugar cane that were cut from acres and acres of sugar cane fields and burnt residue would float in the air then fall lightly to the ground like snow, except that the residue was black. I used to wonder and wonder and wonder, would I ever see snow? Years later, living in Georgia, I find myself looking at the snow during the winter season, thinking back to my childhood of those days when I wondered about snow. Now, I am not so impressed and pray for light snow whenever I do witness these flakes floating to the ground.

However, it wasn't only that. I used to always have a fantasy where I would travel to another country where no one knew me and where I knew no one. I fantasized that I would perch myself somewhere foreign, somewhat isolated from my family and friends in Jamaica and build a life and a legacy. I fantasized that I would find love there, and many people would grow fond of me in that foreign country. It wasn't something I counted on happening, it was simply a fantasy I reverted to whenever I felt stagnant or misunderstood. Years later, I find myself doing just that. Living in a land of strangers, acclimating myself to a new culture and new people, far away from my loved ones in Jamaica, unafraid and without regret, because deep down, maybe it was what I wanted all along, more than anything else. To break away from a trajectory that seemed more destined to a trajectory that seemed less destined. I am living that life. Of course, many of my loved ones in Jamaica do not completely approve because of what I left behind, but in a way, my thoughts and energy teleported me to my current space in time and experience and it was bound to happen.

I have even close friends of mine where I look at their lives today and remember how they used to innocently tell me of their fantasies in secrecy, not plans or goals, but whimsical fantasies. I look at their lives today and I am in shock just how much their lives reflected their whimsical thoughts as a child. It is actually really something interesting to reflect upon.

Everyday I go to work, I try really hard to think happy thoughts and to transcend those happy thoughts to my work area and to the people around me. Some people ask me, Charm why are you always smiling? Why do you always seem so happy? Many people have theories which I laugh at but the truth is I just want to have a good day. I really do and I want others to have a good day too. I find that when I go in with a smile on my face and a good attitude, my day is so much easier at work. On top of that, many people look forward to working with me. Right then and there, my thoughts about having a great day at work infected the atmosphere and affected the people around  me, where my job becomes more manageable and the people that I work with become ten times more likable.

I wonder about my future and I see myself in a place career wise, I fantasize about it very often and I see myself there. I don't worry about where I am today because I see myself being successful in a particular career field even though my path seems light years away from that particular space in time today. I believe it will happen. I am not advocating the secret but I am adding to it's credibility. However, I believe in a higher Being within our universe that sees all thoughts and all desires and is the key to manifesting thoughts into reality. That Being in my book is the catalyst to The Secret.

Whether The Secret is real or not, I do believe that positive thoughts empower the state of mind and transforms a person's demeanor and attitude into one that is motivated to achieve anything. Ultimately, with an empowered thought process and an empowered attitude, we attract people with similar mentality to our lives and then with all these empowered minds combined, manifesting their thoughts into reality, I believe that a positive  cosmic reaction will unfold.


No comments:

Post a Comment