Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Overcoming My Facebook Addiction and Withdrawal Symptoms

I recently made the decision to deactivate my Facebook account and it has been a battle since as I forge ahead into the world without a Facebook account. I am relearning how to live my life outside of the Facebook realm of pictures, status updates, comments and likes. I had to readjust my state my mind to accommodate the switch from virtual reality to actual reality. It has been the longest three months of my life as ponder everyday on the benefits of not having a Facebook account in order to make myself feel better.
I discovered that Facebook was not only taking over my life but also that I was too emotionally invested into the social website and had to quit cold turkey. My Facebook addiction had gotten to a point where picking out clothing was difficult as I tried to ensure that if I took a picture that I wanted to post, it wasn't an outfit that I already posted on Facebook. It was so bad that I did not go out to enjoy myself, I went out just so I could post a picture on Facebook which by the way, everywhere was the perfect place to take a picture. Family Dollar which is only five minutes down the street from where I live, was one of the perfect place to take a picture of me being"out". It was shameful.

My husband was especially annoyed as he was the one that I had forced to take pictures of me enjoying myself "out". He would uncomfortably and quickly take the pictures hoping he didn't look foolish taking random pictures of me outside of places like Walmart. He would mostly deny my requests to take pictures of me out in public until I begged him with tears in my eyes to take my picture (exaggerating), but really, I would beg him until he took at least two perfect pictures of me which I would immediately post to Facebook. Needless to say, he is the happiest that I am now off Facebook even though he is so certain of my addiction he is doubtful it was a permanent move on my part.

I was so emotionally invested in Facebook that I would get into "Facebook debates" that would leave me heated enough to ruin the rest of my day. I would worry about how I was viewed by other people in my Facebook circle and tried as best as possible to appear perfect. I would leave certain information off my profile and add certain information all in an effort to create my perfect "Facebook life". It was ridiculous and occasionally I would feel ridiculous. In addition to this, I could not go more than a few hours without checking my account. Once I went three days without checking my Facebook account but it was only because my husband had bet me that I couldn't go two days without logging into Facebook and I felt challenged, therefore I set out to prove him wrong and I did. However, by the end of day three it was back to business on Facebook. 

Now that I am off Facebook, I still feel the urge to take pictures whenever I am out, but the urge is not as strong as it used to be. I do take pictures but I store them in my phone to show people that are close to me. I am back to repeating outfits without the fear of being found out and I have again begun to appreciate being out simply for the fun of it. Occasionally, I undergo withdrawal symptoms which occur when I take really great pictures of myself that I wish I could post, I get a little sad or agitated, but that feeling is dissipating with time. I also feel tempted to reactivate my Facebook account when my sisters or friends encourage me to do so. However, when I think of how much less pressured or stressed I feel without a Facebook account I decide that I am better off without it. It is still early and I am still within that probation period where it still could go either way but I am optimistic that I will continue in actual reality rather than virtual reality.






No comments:

Post a Comment